Sunday, August 19, 2012

BUT WHERE'S THE SNOW?

At the beginning of the summer when I went to book my ticket to Copenhagen, I was shocked at how cheap it was to fly through Reykjavik, Iceland. Icelandair has launched a phenomenal campaign to encourage tourism to the country and they got me hook, line and sinker. I persuaded my dad to fly out with me (because, YOLO! When else am I ever going to go to Iceland?!) and we've spent the last 2 days exploring the capital city and stunning scenery just a short drive away.

We rented a car and spent a full day driving the Golden Circle. The landscape is unlike anything I've ever seen. I kept expecting a hobbit or Gandolf to appear; it's got a very Lord of the Rings feel to it. More than 90% of the population in Iceland believes in elves and I honestly don't blame them after seeing the countryside.
(looks like Middle Earth to me)
(The photo on the right is a fissure in the Mid-Atlantic Ridge. It's the only part of the plate boundary that is above sea level!)

The next morning we started out our day at the Blue Lagoon. Iceland is a geothermal hotspot and the lagoon is a natural hot springs that is the most stunning shade of blue. The facilities are state of the art and just as beautiful as the surroundings.

We spent our afternoons and evenings wandering around the city of Reykjavik which was way funkier than I expected. If you listen to Of Monster and Men or Jonsi, you'll get a sense of the indie edge that culture is known for. We saw street performers, a pole dancing showcase and some 7 year olds with serious swag.
(the main church looks like it belongs in Star Trek)
(pole dancing fitness showcase)
(these kids had quite the crowd)

Tomorrow morning I head on to Copenhagen. I'm glad I had the chance to get over the jetlag early and check out such a cool, up-and-coming city. My first taste of Nordic life and Scandinavian culture was a huge success and I can't wait to see what else lies ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment